Sunday, October 19, 2014

Vegan Peach Ice-Cream (a non Zok recipe) Coconut Oil

I have read that coconut oil is currently very popular, and when I got to Stockholm this year, each and every person had this solid coconut oil out on the table and they were telling me how great the uses for it is.  
So when this recipe showed up via some recipes site I had signed up for (Food 52) I decided to try it out at a girlfriends during movie night. 
It was simple and easy. The recipe noted that you could freeze the left overs and then re-process it, but I actually used mine in my protein smoothies.

4 frozen bananas cut into chunks
2 tbls. coconut oil
2 tbls. unrefined sugar (I used brown sugar)
2 large peaches
2 tbls. cashew or almond butter (optional) *
1 tsp. vanilla extract (we used vanilla bean)
2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch sea salt
* I made it once with the almond butter once without and I didn't notice a difference.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (185c). Cut your peaches in half and take out the pits.  Put them into a bowl and coat them with the coconut oil and sugar.  Lay the halves with the middle side up on a foil lined baking sheet or dish. Roast them for about 35 minutes- you will see them visibly brown and sort of carmelize, you want the peaches to be tender.  When they are done pull them out and let them cool for another 15-20 minutes or so)

2. When your peaches are cooled, put your chopped, frozen bananas into your processor.  The bananas will become creamy after awhile- they will get to the consistency of pudding/custard.  

3.  When the bananas get to the creamy stage, add your salt, vanilla, cinnamon, nut butter (if you are using that) and your peaches.  Serve it up immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment