Thursday, January 23, 2014

Spanish Rice



I call this 'Spanish rice' but I think the name is a misnomer from childhood.
This is not common in Australia so I make it more than I used too as a 'bring a plate'.
This dish keeps for a long time and transports easily.
It can also be made early in the day, and re-heated to serve, so I make it when we have people over for burritos, or something in the Mexican food vein.
I have also taken this camping twice, and it kept well for days in a cooler no problems.
 
Here is my recipe.
I make about 3/4 of a cup of rice and twice that water and add it to our rice cooker. I let the rice finish before I do anything else.
I boil about a 1/2 cup of water and add some vegeta or any time of vegetarian dry soup making mixture- but vegeta is my first choice. I set this aside.
I then take a tablespoon of olive oil, and about just one clove of chopped garlic and heat that.
Then I add in about 3 chopped tomatoes (no seeds or core)
As many peas as I can get my hands on
 (I used all ripe peas from our garden)
I put in about as much carrot, and again I just use what is on hand, here we have the small variety of carrots, so I just cut them and it was as if they were already diced, you want the pieces to be about pea size
I saute the carrots just for about 3-minutes, then I add the tomatoes and the peas for just about another 3 minutes
Then I add in the cooked rice
After I mix it all through
I start adding in the vegeta mixture slowly- and I keep stirring until the consistency seems pleasing.
 
So easy, even I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment