Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Rhubarb Syrup

Here is how I made the rhubarb syrup.
 I was unsure about the color as I didn't know what type of rhubarb I was using (other than it came from our neighbor Rob's garden).
So the first batch is the reddest ends of each stalk (as pictured in the used maple syrup jug with red top) the other photo is the second batch using the green ends so you can see the color difference is noticeable.




When I looked on the internet I found too many conflicting recipes so I just treated the rhubarb as if I was making jam.
I cut the stalks into small pieces and put them into a large stainless steel pot.  I had roughly 4 cups of rhubarb so I used 3/4 cup of caster sugar. (you can always add more) and covered this with one cup of water.
I brought the mixture to a boil for about five minutes and then simmered for about twenty.

I took a large measuring cup, set a strainer on top, and for good measure I added some cheese cloth (the type that doesn't shed any material).
I alternated between mushing it through with a whisk, and doing other things around the house and just letting the liquid drip through on its own volition.

Because I was not storing the liquid for a long time, I did not process the jars.
I am going to do that this year to see how it keeps. 
I was not intending on keeping the now, somewhat pureed rhubarb left behind, but the first batch had a nice color, so I jarred it up to put on yogurt and ice-cream.
The second batch went into the compost for what Zok calls "the worm share".
Rhubarb is easy to grow, and each year there seems that the neighbors have more than they can cook so I have been venturing into using rhubarb as much as possible.

Rhubarb is an easy vegetable, and sometimes you get the bonus of a lovely pink color.  Zok makes pie filling from the end of year rhubarb, and we process the jars like we would an old-fashioned (Ball complete book of home preserving) jam.  We do not add anything more than the amount of sugar we want, and some lemon juice.
Then we take the jars and boil them as hot as possible for 10 minutes on the stove top to seal up the lids.
We don't expect to shelve them more than 12-16 months, and the coloring isn't an issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment